Georges Leroux (Paris 1877 - Meudon 1957)
Oil on canvas
46 x 61,5 cm
Signed on the lower right: Georges Leroux
The son of a print publisher, Georges Leroux, after attending the École nationale supérieure des arts décoratifs, entered the studio of Léon Bonnat at the École des Beaux-Arts. He won the Prix de Rome in 1906 and was a resident at the Villa Medici from 1907 to 1909.
Following this first trip, he returned frequently to Italy until the end of his life. In 1924, he became a member of the jury of the Society of French Artists and was elected member of the Institute eight years later. Even though he devoted himself to all the genres of painting, the landscape was predominant in his production. Italy, of course, but also Provence provided him with the recurring motifs of his work.
Here we see in the distance, in the middle of the Alpilles, the castle of Baux-de-Provence. The part left to the sky accentuates the feeling of scale of the landscape.
Both colorful and luminous, it shows a very synthetic manner that characterizes the artist's style throughout his career.
Price on request